top of page

Oklahoma Resources for Families


  1. TEFRA (Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982)

    TEFRA allows the state of Oklahoma, to make Soonercare benefits available to children with physical or mental disabilities who would not ordinarily be eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits because of their parent’s income or resources. TEFRA allows children who are eligible gain access to services.  


    For additional info: TEFRA Children Overview - Care for children with disabilities (

    If interested in applying for TEFRA, find packet here:  



    Once packet is completed, You can email your completed forms and documents to, fax the information to 405-530-3312 or you can mail your information to:

    Oklahoma Healthcare Authority
    Attention: TEFRA unit
    4345 N. Lincoln Blvd
    Oklahoma City, OK 73105


  2. Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
    LIHEAP is a federally-funded program that provides financial assistance to approximately 182,000 Oklahoma low-income households each year to help them meet the cos
    t of home energy.

    For additional info: UtilityServicesLIHEAPMain (

  3. Child Care Subsidy
    Child care subsidy is available through the federal Child Care and Development Block Grant. It helps parents pay for licensed childcare while they are at work, in training or getting an education. It also helps prevent neglect or abuse that can occur when children are left alone or with unqualified caregivers.

    For additional info: Child Care Subsidy (

  4. Family Support Assistance for Children with Disabilities
    Family Support Assistance payments - This is a cash payment program for families who are caring for children under age 18 at home. In this program, families can receive payments of $250-$400 per month depending on the number of children with disabilities in the home. Families who meet the income eligibility may choose this State-funded cash payment in lieu of Medicaid Home and Community-Based services.

    For additional info: Family Support Assistance (

  5. Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
    Cash assistance is available to the family on a time-limited basis through TANF. The purpose of this federal program is to provide temporary support in meeting basic needs, training leading to employment, employment services and child care assistance for qualified families with children.

    For additional info: Program Information (

  6. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
    Formerly known as food stamps. SNAP enables low-income families to buy nutritious food with Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards. SNAP recipients spend their benefits to buy eligible food in authorized retail food stores/Farmers' Markets.

    For additional info: SNAP (

  7. Respite Voucher Program
    This voucher payment program funds respite vouchers to caregivers so they can pay another person to care for their loved one and take a break from their caregiving duties.

    For additional info: Respite Voucher Program (

  8. Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
    The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) provides federal grants to states for supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age 5 who are found to be at nutritional risk.

    For additional info: Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) | Food and Nutrition Service (

  9. Head Start Programs
    Head Start programs promote the school readiness of infants, toddlers, and preschool-aged children from families with low income. Services are provided in a variety of settings including centers, family child care, and children's own home. Head Start programs also engage parents or other key family members in positive relationships, with a focus on family well-being. Parents participate in leadership roles, including having a say in program operations.

    For additional info: Start Services | The Administration for Children and Families (

  10. 211- CALL 211 or (918) 836-4357 or text “help” to 877-836-2111
    This will connect you to expert, caring help. Every call is completely confidential and can connect you with resources to help with the following: housing (housing expenses and utilities expenses), food (food programs and benefits), and health (healthcare expenses, mental health, and substance abuse).


  11. The Arc of Oklahoma (TARC)
    Offers family support services. The Arc of Oklahoma believes counseling, special education advocacy, support groups, respite, training, cash assistance and information and referral must be made widely available to family caregivers of those caring for individuals with a variety of diagnoses.

    For more information on Family Support Services, contact Sherilyn or Hannah at (918) 582- 8272 or go to
    Family Support – The Arc of Oklahoma (

bottom of page